Last night, the SCU gave a presentation to City Council to request cycling infrastructure and resources in the 2013 budget. General highlights:
– We support the recommendations of the Sustainable Mobility Panel, the Bicycle Advisory Panel, as well as the Transportation Study and other city initiatives.
– We asked that the city follow the recommendations of the SMAP that all new road construction and existing road repairs to automatically include cycling infrastructure.
– We asked for additional dollars for less expensive connectors and sharrows, rather than dedicated bike lanes.
– We asked for $480,000 of extra monies to be used in 2013 for additional, new cycling infrastructure, for an Active Transportation Coordinator, who would coordinate cycling activities, including a wayfinding map, a user-friendly “Transportation” page on the city’s website, special events and promotions, and educational programs for cyclists and motorists.
– The $480,000 is less than 1.5% of the 2013 proposed roads budget. We also asked that a cycling enhancements line item be created in the roads budget for transparency purposes.