On October 17, 2012, local green groups, including members from the SCU, met for this year’s fall Green Gathering.There are many wonderful groups and individuals who are making a difference for our environment here in Greater Sudbury. We all have our own focus and passion. However together we agree on four top local priorities:
1. Supporting local food and agriculture
2. Keeping our natural environment healthy and protecting important green spaces
3. Protecting water quality and keeping our lakes and waterways clean and healthy
4. Supporting sustainable transportation: walking, cycling, and transit
For more information and to find out what you can do, check out this leaflet: Take Action on Environmental Priorities
You can help!
Here are three things you can do today to make a difference and support these local environmental priorities.
1. Support local food and local farmers: Get a membership at Sudbury’s local food cooperative Eat Local Sudbury, and sign up for their weekly e-newsletter that will keep you posted on the local products available, and opportunities to learn the skills you need to grow and preserve food yourself.
Memberships can be bought at the store (176 Larch), or from their on-line store: http://store.eatlocalsudbury.com/75/Eat-Local-Sudbury/
For more information, contact: [email protected]
2. Speak up for clean lakes, a healthy natural environment, and safe & convenient active transportation.
The City is currently reviewing its Official Plan, which is the ‘rulebook’ for how the city will grow and change.They are asking for public input, so let them know what’s important to you. Check out the following leaflets that encourage you and other like-minded individuals to provide feedback to the Operational Plan Review. Kindly designed by the Coalition for a Liveable Sudbury, these leaflets can be used to promote our interests while running campaigns or attending events.
This OP Review Info Leaflet leaflet identifies some key changes that would make a big difference and lists how you can support the four priorities identified by the Green Gathering: OP Review Info Leaflet.
This leaflet can be used to specifically support cycling and active transportation: Active Transportation OP Review Leaflet. Of special interest is the Complete Street campaign, that the SCU will be actively supporting for inclusion into either the Official Plan or the Transportation Schedule (which is a subset of the OP).
As someone who values off road cycling trails, and active transportation as an alternative to yet more roads, you are also encouraged to join others in requesting that the proposed “LU parkway” be removed from the Official Plan. This proposed highway goes through one of our community’s most highly valued green spaces, cutting through Laurentian University’s hiking and ski trails, impacting Lake Laurentian and other lakes, and cutting this area off from the adjacent conservation area.
3. Get connected to local green events and information.
Get informed on local green events, issues, and actions with the Coalition for a Liveable Sudbury e-newsletter. Contact [email protected] to get on their e-mailing list.
Did you know you can find local green groups at http://www.greenconnectsudbury.ca/? Have a look at some of the great organizations in our community!